Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion
ISVMA Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Policy
The Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association (ISVMA) seeks to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organizational culture and across all ISVMA policies and programs. This is achieved through regular review and assessment of our organizational policies and practices, partnerships, and programs to ensure that diversity, equity, and inclusion elements are considered, included, funded, and implemented by ISVMA’s leadership and staff. The ISVMA is committed to creating a culture of inclusion for all members of our profession, recognizing that diversity within our organization inherently strengthens the ISVMA as well as the larger veterinary profession. This mission ensures that we are providing the best service to our members, the public, and the animals for which we are called to serve.
Articles of Interest (click on text to read)
- Conference/Symposia Diversity & Inclusion Assessment Tool Type: Worksheet (pdf) | Source: AAVMC
- Implicit Bias Tests | Type: Online Survey | Source: Harvard University
- Organizational Diversity and Inclusion Assessment Tool | Type: Worksheet (pdf) | Source: AAVMC
- Intentional Organization D&I Efforts Assessment Tool | Type: Worksheet (pdf) | Source: Lisa Greenhill, MPA, EdD
- How Good Are Your Listening Skills? Understanding Someone’s Entire Message | Type: Online Survey | Source: Mind Tools
- Cultural Competency
BIAS, DISCRIMINATION, & RACISM
- DEI Definitions | Type: Document | Source: Cary Consulting
- Discrimination in Veterinary Medicine | Type: Podcast | Source: AAVMC / DiversityMatters
- Diversity, Marginalization and Intersectionality | Type: Webinar | Source: AVMA
- Getting Past The Fear Of Talking About Race | Type: Podcast | Source: AAVMC / DiversityMatters
- The difference between being “not racist” and antiracist | Type: Video | Source: TED
- Unconscious bias: Combating its harmful effects | Type: Webinar | Source: AVMA
- Unconscious Bias at Work — Making the Unconscious Conscious | Type: Video | Source: Life At Google
- Unconscious bias: How it affects us and our teams | Type: Webinar | Source: AVMA
- 4 Steps for Busting Unconscious Bias | Type: Video | Source: Devex
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION
- Diversity & Inclusion On Air: Conversations About Diversity, Inclusion & Veterinary Medicine | Type: Podcast (Series) | Source: DiVersity Matters at AAVMC
- AAVMC Annual Data Report 2019-2020 | Type: PDF | Source: AAVMC
- Diversity Starter Kit | Type: Podcast (Series) | Source: AAVMC / DiversityMatters
- Diversity and Inclusion in Vet Med with Sean Gadson | Type: Podcast | Source: AVMA / My Veterinary Life
- Race, Equality & Diversity in the Pet and Animal Service Industries | Type: Podcast | Source: The Pet Buzz
- Core Values, Diversity and Inclusion in Veterinary Medicine | Type: Powerpoint | Source: Lisa Greenhill, MPA, EdD
- Diversity and Inclusion: Putting our Oath in Action | Type: Powerpoint | Source: Janet Donlin, DVM, CAE
- Roadmap for Success | Type: Powerpoint | Source: Kauline Cipriani, PhD
- Leaning into Strengths and Opportunities | Type: Powerpoint | Source: Kim D’Abreu, MPH
- LGVMA Advocacy Impact | Type: Powerpoint | Source: Melinda Merck, DVM
- Allyship – The Key To Unlocking The Power Of Diversity | Type: Article | Source: Forbes
- GUIDE TO ALLYSHIP | Type: Guide | Source: Guide To Allyship
- 3 Ways to be a Better Ally in the Workplace | Type: TED talk | Source: Melinda Epler
- 3 Requirements for a Diverse and Inclusive Culture | Type: Article | Source: Gallup
- The Difference Between Workplace Equity And Equality, And Why It Matters | Type: Article | Source: Forbes
- WHAT IS DIVERSITY & INCLUSION? | Type: Article | Source: Global Diversity Practice
- Decide Diversity Academy | Type: Online Course | Source: Decide Diversity
- Diversity & Inclusion in Veterinary Medicine Certificate Program | Type: Online Course | Source: Purdue University
- TOGETHER Program | Type: Online Course | Source: Purdue University
- CVM Community of Inclusion Certificate Program | Type: Online Course | Source: The Ohio State University
- Affinity organizations
Strives to bring the Asian-American veterinary community together through shared stories, education, and mentorship opportunities.
Aims to create a safe community for black veterinary professionals to connect, find mentorship, and advance veterinary medicine.
Works to increase the number of Black healthcare educators, leaders, and practitioners.
Aims to empower Latinx professionals in the veterinary field and to support the next generation of Latinx veterinarians.
Promotes racial and ethnic diversity and cultural competency within the veterinary profession so as to better serve a diverse, multicultural society.
Builds a network of individuals and organizations that advocates for Blacks in veterinary medicine at every level and profession.
Nonprofit organization that aims to improve the recruitment and retention of underrepresented groups into the veterinary profession.
Strives to promote inclusion and community in the veterinary profession for colleagues, clients and the community as a whole.
Student-run organization that seeks to increase awareness, respect, and sensitivity to differences among all individuals and communities in the field of veterinary medicine.
Supports women in seeking and achieving leadership, policy, and decision-making positions within all areas of professional veterinary activity.
- Taking Action
EMPLOYERS & ORGANIZATIONS
- Is Your Company Actually Fighting Racism, or Just Talking About It? | Type: Article | Source: Harvard Business Review
- Why diversity is good for business | Type: Article | Source: AVMA
- Is It Time to Talk About Race and Religion at Work? | Type: Article | Source: Society for Human Resource Management
- Why Inclusive Leaders Are Good for Organizations, and How to Become One | Type: Article | Source: Harvard Business Review
- Welcoming Environment® Resource Center | Type: Varies (Collection) | Source: Association Forum
- Promote Inclusion and Community at Your Conference With an “I Am” Wall | Type: Article | Source: Veterinary Medical Association Executives
- Talking About Race at Work | Type: Podcast | Source: Harvard Business Review
- From Bystander To Ally | Type: Podcast | Source: AAVMC / DiversityMatters
- How to overcome our biases? Walk boldly toward them | Type: Video | Source: TED
- The end of racism starts with each of us | Type: Article | Source: TED
- What Can I Do? | Type: Varies (Collection) | Source: Cary Consulting
- Book Recommendations:
- Diversity in Veterinary Medicine News
- Equestrian Sports and DEI | Type: Article | Source: United States Equestrian Federation
- University of Illinois (#diversity matters) | Type: Varies (Collection) | Source: University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine
- Pet Owners Are Diverse, but Veterinarians Are Overwhelmingly White. Black Veterinarians Want to Change That | Type: Article | Source: TIME Magazine